Admin Control Panel

Posts Change Layout Sign Out

Jun 3, 2014

Adventures in Gardening 01

 I will be the first to admit that I have a black thumb.  I come from a long line of excellent gardeners, so I'm guessing that gene mutated when it got to me.

However... I planted these succulent plants nearly a month ago & guess what!?!  Yep.  They're still going strong.  I might have found my calling.  (When I heard that they don't like much water & can grow just about anywhere, I started to wonder where these plants have been all my life.)  Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself my posting these words.

I repurposed some vintage tins & potted each plant using moisture control potting soil.  Succulents like sun & I only give them an ice-cube amount of water every week - week +1/2.
 
I am, however, a pretty decent cook.  I decided to try my hand at growing various fresh herbs this summer.

I was trying to find a spot to put my pots so that they could get plenty of sun & small critters wouldn't get to them.  We have an old barn that is full of hidden treasures, so I started digging around & found this old table.  It was missing it's top & I wasn't sure what I would do with it... and that's when I found this round antique whatchamacallit.  I have no idea what it's original purpose was, but it looked to be close to the same diameter as my table.  It took a few taps of a hammer and some prying & shoving, but it actually fit inside perfectly!
 
I needed a way to quickly mark my plants, so I grabbed some wooden spoons & forks that I had leftover from a shower I hosted & just used a Sharpie to mark the herbs.  A couple of days later, I found this idea on Pinterest.  Basically the exact same idea, but she executed it much better.  If I get really inspired, maybe I'll re-do mine... but I'm guessing they'll probably stay just as they are.  ;)

 It looks like my basil has just started to sprout!
 I planted a cute mix of flowers in a window box planter on Mother's Day.  I'd love to show you a full shot, but these are the only flowers that have survived.  My black thumb is getting darker by the minute.
I'm also trying my hand at growing vegetables this year from seeds.  (lettuce, carrots, sugar snap peas, onions, brussel sprouts, watermelon, & cucumbers) My dad is a Master Gardener (literally) & tells me that my plants have potential.  We'll see how it goes & I'll try to update my progress over the next few months.

No comments :

Post a Comment

This site has been Tweaked and Designed by Sara Williams | Powered by Blogger | Back to Top
 
Pin It button on image hover