Admin Control Panel

Posts Change Layout Sign Out

Jun 20, 2014

Making Handmade Butter

I channeled my inner Laura Ingalls today.  I thought it would be fun to let the boys try their hand at making butter from scratch.  I'm honestly not sure who had more fun.  It's such a neat process!  Here's a video sharing how we did it:

The whole process took about 30 minutes.  The cream went from a liquid state to thick whipped cream... and then all of a sudden, the buttermilk separated and the butter was formed!

Once you drain off the buttermilk, the butter has to be rinsed with very cold water.  We added a bit of salt at the end.  (1 tsp.)  I couldn't believe how yummy a plain piece of white toast tasted with the freshly made butter.   My youngest "mmm!'d" for the longest time.  :)  It was definitely a 'two thumbs up' kind of project!

2 comments :

  1. Yum, I have always wanted to try this, I must make time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you find the jar?????? That looks so much fun!

    ReplyDelete

This site has been Tweaked and Designed by Sara Williams | Powered by Blogger | Back to Top
 
Pin It button on image hover