Admin Control Panel

Posts Change Layout Sign Out

Aug 28, 2013

Custom Party Invites

So... my youngest's birthday was over a month ago & happened just days after we returned home from our family vacation.  We were all exhausted & the last thing I wanted was to have a house full of boys over for a slumber party.  So, I suggested having a back-to-school/belated birthday at a laser tag facility & he jumped on the idea.  Score!  (aka: quick, easy, and I still get my sleep)  Yeah.  I'm not going for the mother-of-the-year award here.  Just keeping it real.  ;)

We needed some laser tag themed invites & I scoured my craft room, looking for ideas.  I was pretty excited when I came across this patterned paper from Studio Calico's new Thataway collection.  The plus signs reminded me of the cross-lines of a target.

I made my own mask using my Silhouette & an office-style transparency sheet & misted the paper with white Mister Huey's.
Have you seen these tiny neon Mister Huey's?
They came in really handy for this project!  I sprayed white twine in various shades to mimic laser beams.  The "you're invited" die cut was from the Silhouette store & I used the neon ink to brighten them up a bit.

I covered the entire card front with another piece of transparency & needed a way to secure/adhere it without the glue marks showing through.  So... I stitched on a plastic die cut arrow from the Thataway collection & it held the layers together perfectly!  Yay!  (I used a cotton swab & dipped it in the Mister Huey bottle & dabbed it over the stitching.)

For the inside of the card, I just created a file in Photoshop & printed them off.  Easy peasy!
So... even though we're celebrating late, I'm sure the boys will have a lot of fun (and I'm hoping the handmade invites will give me a few extra mom-points to make up for it.)  ;)

2 comments :

  1. My son LOVES laser tag! I showed him this invitation, and he said, "Now SHE know how to make a "boy" card! He always says my cards are "too girly." Your invitation was a hit with this 13 year old boy and his mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's the best compliment I could ever ask for! :) Tell your son I said thank you!

      Delete

This site has been Tweaked and Designed by Sara Williams | Powered by Blogger | Back to Top
 
Pin It button on image hover