Admin Control Panel

Posts Change Layout Sign Out

Sep 16, 2007

Sending Prayers for Sarah

I don't know if many of my faithful blog readers were here with me in the beginning when I wrote about Sarah. (Sarah is the sister of my best friend who is battling breast cancer.) I'll try to summarize her story and remember all of the details....

Sarah is in her early 30's and was diagnosed with breast cancer recently. She actually found the lump doing a self-exam right after her mom was diagnosed. The doctors told her that she found it early... that she would have to go through chemo, but would not require a mastectomy (just a lumpectomy). So, Sarah was very hopeful... and thankful that she wouldn't require any major surgery. She's never been married, and she was hoping to get well quickly and move on with fulfilling other dreams about having a husband and family of her own.

I can't remember exactly how it all happened, but the doctors found a second cancerous area in the same breast and told her this type of cancer was much more dangerous. She would have to have her entire breast removed. Sarah found out about a new type of surgery that seemed to make a remarkable difference for cancer patients. Doctors would take a flap of tissue from her back side and transfer it to her breast --- saving her skin and leaving virtually no scars on her breast. She decided to go for it and traveled half way across the country to find a surgeon who specialized in this new type of surgery.

It took a lot of recovery time (a LARGE incision had to heal from the flap harvest site), but she recovered well and looked unbelievable. Her hair started growing back and she looked beautiful. But... after a few weeks, Sarah noticed a reddened area on her breast. She had it examined and doctors found that she had yet ANOTHER type of cancer on her breast. They believe that when the biopsy gun was used to take a sample of her previous tumor, it carried cancer cells and deposited them on her skin on it's way out.

So, NOW Sarah has to have a radical mastectomy (along with multiple lymph nodes removed). Her surgery is scheduled for this Tuesday afternoon.

Please pray for Sarah. She has been strong for so long and needs hope in a desperate way.

This is why Paper Pretties Think Pink campaign is so important to me. I know that a few hundred dollars doesn't seem like much, but being able to contribute to research and the fight against breast cancer even in a small way is a step. This is a battle. Everyone knows someone who is effected by this disease.... and I can't help but think that one day it could be me. Why not do something that we love and support a cure at the same time?

If you are interested in helping us in this campaign, you can find info HERE.

There is even more going on at Paper Pretties. Here's what I found on their site today:

Paper Pretties Pink Promotion
We have been so excited to see your response to our My Favorite Things' Minis on a Mission Think Pink Limited Edition Paper Pretties' Package. You have shown us that our customers possess caring and giving spirits. In that same spirit of giving we would like to give back to YOU! From now until midnight on October 6, 2007, National Breast Cancer Awareness Day, purchase our Think Pink Limited Edition Package and become a subscriber to either the Premium or Petite card package and we will waive your one-time membership fee! Be sure to mention in your membership agreement that you purchased a Think Pink Package. Become a subscriber now. Simply ignore the step that asks you to pay a membership fee.
Thank you again for your support of our Think Pink campaign!

Please think about Sarah this week. I know she could use your prayers. She keeps us updated on her blog found HERE.

Do you know someone who would love to have one of these Think Pink Packages? All you have to do is leave a comment (read about 'where' in this POST) and nominate them.... and 2 people will be chosen to receive a box FREE! I think it would be an awesome way to honor a deserving person!

5 comments :

  1. Thank you for your kind words on my blog. I just read your post and I'm in tears. I will keep you friend in my prayers. I can't imagine at all what she is and will be going through. I've saved her blog so I can keep up with her story. Prayers going up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to send our prayers to your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So well written dear Julie. Lovely of you to garner up prayers....I'll be one of them. xo dani

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGoodness, Julie, I will certainly be in prayer for Sarah. I can't even imagine how difficult this is for her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with this completely, thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete

This site has been Tweaked and Designed by Sara Williams | Powered by Blogger | Back to Top
 
Pin It button on image hover